Numerous formations in the Flatirons are closed to climbing every year from February 1 – July 31 to protect birds of prey. The closures have been in place for decades and have helped falcons, eagles, bats and other bird species reproduce and raise young without disruption and restore populations. The formations are monitored for nesting activity by OSMP staff and volunteers and closures dates may change. Trails can also be closed for construction and repairs, which may affect access to climbing formations.
The following raptor closures were lifted on May 15, 2018:
- Mount Sanitas Summit, south of the Mt. Sanitas East Ridge Trail, east of Mt. Sanitas Trail (both trails remain open)
- Skunk Canyon, including Ridges 2, 3 and 4, the Aechean Pronouncement, the Dreadnaught, the North Ridge and the entirety of Sacred Cliffs.
- Der Freischutz, Frankenstein’s Castle, The Bubble, Der Freischutz, Southern Dinosaur Egg, Northern Dinosaur Egg and Dinosaur Rock.
- Bear Creek Spire: north of Bear Canyon Trail (the designated Bear Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- The Kolb, Weiser and ERTL Properties east of 75th Street and north of Valmont Road.
The following formations are closed from February 1 – July 31, 2018:
- Lefthand Canyon Palisades, at the intersection of Lefthand Canyon Drive and Olde Stage Road (Buckingham Picnic area remains open).
- Flagstaff Mountain, the north side of Flagstaff Mountain.
- The Back Porch and The Box.
- Fern Canyon, north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs (the designated Fern Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- Shadow Canyon, the Matron and The Wings, the Maiden remains open and accessible from the east; Shadow Canyon Trail remains open
- The entire Mickey Mouse wall, including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship’s Prow, Wall of Shiva’s Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crags.
The following formation will remain closed past July 31, 2018:
- Third Flatiron, including the Queen Anne’s Head, W.C Fields Pinnacle, 1911 Gully and the Ghetto, the East Bench & West Bench, the East & West Ironing Boards, The Fin, Green Thumb and Jaws. OSMP recognizes this closure extension will impact climbers’ access to the Third Flatiron and encourages them to visit bit.ly/osmpclimbing for updates on when the closure will be lifted. Information on OSMP wildlife closures, which help to protect sensitive habitats, can be viewed at www.osmpwildlifeclosures.org
For a complete list of trail and raptor closures and the most up-to-date information, please visit the OSMP sites: