Numerous formations in the Flatirons are closed to climbing every year from February 1 – July 31 to protect birds of prey. The closures have been in place for decades and have helped falcons, eagles, bats and other bird species reproduce and raise young without disruption and restore populations. The formations are monitored for nesting activity by OSMP staff and volunteers and closures dates may change. Trails can also be closed for construction and repairs, which may affect access to climbing formations.
The following formations are closed from February 1 – August 31, 2017:
- Lefthand Canyon Palisades,at the intersection of Lefthand Canyon Drive and Olde Stage Road (Buckingham Picnic area remains open).
- Mount Sanitas Summit, south of the Mt. Sanitas East Ridge Trail, east of Mt. Sanitas Trail (both trails remain open)
- Flagstaff Mountain,the north side of Flagstaff Mountain.
- Third Flatiron,including the Queen Anne’s Head, W.C Fields Pinnacle, 1911 Gully and the Ghetto, the East Bench & West Bench, the East & West Ironing Boards, The Fin, Green Thumb and Jaws.
- Skunk Canyon,including Ridges 2, 3 and 4, the Aechean Pronouncement, the Dreadnaught, the North Ridge and the entirety of Sacred Cliffs.
- The Back Porch and The Box.
- Fern Canyon,north of the Fern Canyon Trail, including the Nebel Horn Ridge, East Ridge, the Goose and the Goose Eggs (the designated Fern Canyon hiking trail remains open).
- The Sphinx and The Wings.
- Shadow Canyon and the Matron, the Maiden remains open and accessible from the east; Shadow Canyon Trail remains open
- The entire Mickey Mouse wall,including South Tower, North Tower, Central Tower, Ship’s Prow, Wall of Shiva’s Dance, The Gargoyle, the East Face and Cryptic Crags.
- As of late April 2017, Der Freischutz, the Bubble, Frankenstein’s Castle and the Dinosaur Egg formations are closed.
For a complete list of trail and raptor closures and the most up-to-date information, please visit the OSMP sites and the FCC posts below: